10.08.2010

Priscilla

As a child I was in awe of her dark, wrinkled skin...her face was soft yet her hands were calloused and cracked with hard work. She lived alone in a big, white house that looked like it could cave in at any moment. I don't think she had any family left. She did not have running water and I loved to watch/"help" her pump water to fill her old tin bucket. I wasn't afraid of her...she was gentle and I wanted to spend time with her. She loved her chickens...they had names...one of them was Henrietta and when she called them it was with a high, shrill foreign sound...the chickens came running...EVERY SINGLE TIME. I use that same sound now to call in our barn cats. Those chickens knew and trusted her. I liked the way she wiped her hands on her old apron after she threw grain out for the chickens. She talked low and her words were a little hard to understand. She helped my Mamaw from time to time and my Mamaw would send me to her house to check on her, to buy eggs from her and sometimes take something to her...some cornbread and soup beans or a piece of pie. When she died I would ride my bike to the cemetery where she was buried. No one else ever lived in her house...it stood empty till it was bull dozed down MANY years later.

I remember you Priscilla.

15 comments:

Brian Miller said...

smiles priscilla sounds like quite the lady...

Clint said...

Thanks for bringing back the memories of Priscilla. I remember her cutting grass in the ditch with a sickle. She was a treasure that is probably very rare today.

JGH said...

What a great memory - sounds like the kind of old lady I'd like to be someday. It made me think of our old landlady, Mrs. Luther, who made the best iced tea.

nanny said...

I'll bet she loved having your help.......

Todd said...

Miss Pricilla Bruce. Now there are some old memories. I was very small when I first met her. I mowed her yard on occasion. She always wanted to pay. If I am not mistaken she was a graduate of Wilberfore University.

Zuzana said...

Jill, what a beautiful, touching story, it brought tears to my eyes.
So many people end this way. But she was lucky to have you, who remembered her fondly and immortalized her in beautiful words...
Have a lovely weekend,
xoxo

Debbie said...

What a wonderful tribute to be remembered in this way.

Mammatalk said...

What a lovely memory of a lovely lady. I am sure she would be touched by your re-telling of your time with her.

Uncle Bruce and Aunt Sue said...

Clint, I agree...what a treasure! Todd, you are right,I think it was Wilberforce. Her Dad had been a slave as I recall. She was wonderful!!! You could never outgive her.... We took her food, since we lived right behind her after we were married, she would bring us eggs. She would give us a box of chocolate covered cherries for Christmas several times!!! Her rooster woke us on many, many occasions!!!!! At Thanksgiving and Christmas,I recall, Mommy would make her a plate of food and one of us took it over. I asked once why we didn't invite her over to eat with us and Mommy said she stopped asking because Priscilla would always decline!!! She had a niece who still lived in town, Connie. I was very, very sad when that legend died. I always thought I would love to own that island of property. Jill, thank you so much for recalling Priscilla to us. Great memories, wouldn't you all say??!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I remember Priscilla would always cover her mouth when she talked to you. She walked everywhere but would accept rides from those she knew. Great memories of a wonderful neighbor. We didn't know the treasure that she was when she was our neighbor. Thanks Jill for reminding us of this wonderful friend.
Auntie Lois

steviewren said...

What a sweet memory! It's nice to think that we might be making a lasting impression on some young person by being accessible to them like Priscilla was for you.

Tanna said...

We would all be most fortunate to have someone to remember them like you remember Miss Priscilla, Jill. She sounds like she was quite a lady... as you are, for remembering her so kindly. =)

Anonymous said...

I remember my mom and dad would see her walking and take her into town. You are right, Lois, she always talked with her hand over her mouth, I think it was from snuff. What a tribute, Jill! Linda Gayle

Unknown said...

I remember Priscilla, she was a worker. There is a lady that lives behind the Fire Station that reminds me a lot of her. This lady gets out and works hard on her yard, even sweeping the curbs.

Uncle Bruce and Aunt Sue said...

This is from Uncle Bruce.....The one regret I have with Miss Priscilla....Alex Haley, author of Roots was coming to speak in Dayton. We asked Miss Priscilla if she would like to go with delight, she accepted. Unfortunately a blizzard hit and the speaking engagement was cancelled. We had so hoped to spend time with her and learn more about her history. She did go to CHS with us on several occasions for events. She would never walk with us, insisted on walking behind us but I would drop back and walk with her.

Related Posts with Thumbnails